Thursday 13 September 2007

Kawasaki Z1000





Zed 1000

I have to be honest I have a penchant for Kawasaki’s, I always have. I’m not sure why but I have always been drawn to the Zeds.

I am fortunate enough to still own a ‘77 Z1000 A1 which though not a purists example, pretty tastefully modified I hope. It still encapsulates that classic design from the Z900A4 which was the direct predecessor to the seminal Z1000 thirty years ago.

Thirty years on and from the launch of the original model (which would have seen me in the first year of my secondary school at the time). Kawasaki have resurrected the theme (again, it has to be said).Progressing from the Zephyrs and ZRX via the now also classic Gpz900R range and the ZX9’s.

The modern day Z1000 is a symbiosis of sports bike and naked bike which has come about with the invention of the street fighter niche. The factories cleverly studying the market and started producing bikes that people want that they couldn’t get from the factory until a few years ago. Originally to thank, I am led to believe were the vanguard of sports bike owners who crashed and couldn’t repair. On go the handlebars and tattered fairings stripped off for the no/minimal fairing look but still benefiting from riding on the sports bike components.

Just the name Z1000 sounds like it’s gonna be good, and since the revived moniker has been in place, the bikes that served it have evolved into this cleverly designed efficient street attack vehicle.

I have been graced with this stealth bomber thanks to the largesse of some old colleagues, and for the opportunity I am truly grateful.

I have owned my Zed for twenty years now and always hanker to get it fit for duty year after year, but each time despite my understanding of it’s oily classic heart and what it can and cannot do in comparison to modern bikes, I am always somehow disappointed. Its design is timeless but sadly the performance isn’t. But what a great start for today’s model, what a lineage it has to trade on.


The ‘05 and ‘06 models looked good and went well, you could say less cluttered and with cleaner lines but this latest incarnation really does come right up to date and to the mark.
Seeing the’07 ‘Star Wars’ version in the window of the dealer I really really wanted to ride it!

First impressions. Mean, menacing, aggressive, very angular, insect-like with it’s extremely well fitting modular sci-fi arrowhead panels, this design echoed throughout the bike from the fender stays, through the well fitting side panels and frame covers to footrest brackets, swing arm , chain adjustors and rear caliper bracket, all bear the mark of thought and theme, excellent function with singular design. Mr Tanaka (who was shipped in from Mazda) to spearhead the design of the next generation of bikes apparently picked a spot in front of the front wheel and drew an imaginary line at a 30 degree angle or thereabouts and based the lines of the bike on this imaginary line to give it the appearance of movement whilst stationary. He’s succeeded.

The sharp and rapacious front end with bulbous tail. Orca-like black and silver. There is no mistaking the designer’s intent. This is a street fighter, meat eating muscle bike and Ti-fighter in one well equipped and power packed package


The seat is hard, it becomes bearable after a while but I would probably ask for a little more padding and lose the slight slope to it. It pushes you forward slightly pushing your knees into the tank, great for prolonged hooning but possibly arse ache after a few hundred miles. Remove it and there is a cavity underneath for a small stash of tightly wrapped waterproofs or similar.

The view however is fantastic, the binnacle is neat compact and unfussy. White faced rev counter dial with supporting digi enhancements by way of a clock, trip meter and large display speed readout, It shows me all I want to see in a nano glance allowing me to concentrate on the task ahead.

The rear seat is small and don’t think you could stow a bungee cord or packet of cigarettes underneath ‘cos you’d be wrong. It’s full up with components and pipes and wires etc, you might get a packet of Rizla’s in there but that’s about it.

Nice wide bars allow very slow speed control when simmering past reps slumped in queues of unmoving traffic and are great for levering into fast corners.

Braking is top notch, the twin wavy discs and mono block four pot calipers allow firm two finger breaking even at high speed. The six way adjustable lever is a nice touch, and with the fuel injected bike requiring no handlebar mounted choke lever or light switch, the bars are not cluttered with chunky switch gear.

The motor is fantastic for a road bike; the hours spent in R & D fuel mapping has produced an urgent turbine like delivery of pace with rapid acceleration. At legal town speeds its exertions barely register on the tightly spaced first sector of the rev counter

Sport‘s pilotes would argue that it‘s not as quick or as sharp as their choice, but this thing barely has a fairing and wide bars to tax ones neck muscles. Whilst it’s always nishe to have as much power as you can get, this bikes delivers from the road riding general populaces’ viewpoint a pukka ride with plenty of power that is usable and huge grintastic fun is the inevitable result.

The suspension has been criticised in the press. Whilst I believe that they are probably right, it didn’t detract from my riding pleasure. Sure it could be improved, but that’s what multi adjustable suspension is for - twiddling and tweaking. I am of the opinion that suspension set up is a black art and whilst I understand the fundamentals I leave it to the guys that I know, know!
All the advice received is grateful from pub critics to fellow riders, but let‘s be honest, the factory aren’t amateurs, they spend hours on testing and all that pre launch stuff, they employ experts in their fields and incredibly experienced test riders. The associated press are not to be ridiculed in their perception of the machines capabilities and flaws but equally none of us should decide a bikes fate without riding it.

The gearbox is slick and not heavy, the clutch action really fluid with a great feel, naturally this is a demonstrator so basically new, hence the drive train was quiet and slick also.

The pipes I hear you say what about the pipes. I have to admit I am undecided and they do form a largish part of the bikes looks. Whilst on one hand they fit the bikes design once again through their shape and form, (bearing in mind the Euro 3 stuff that all modern bikes have to comply with for cleaner air etc), they are in fact twin mufflers with the heat shield/protectors effectively splitting them in two (hence 4), again great design allied to necessary function.
They are however bulbous and I would no doubt linger long and hard over an Akrapovic or Muzzy system should I stumble across one at a show with a few bob in my pocket. It’s a tricky one to call I must confess.

Hoops are de rigeur sports bike size with the nice touch of polished rims. Rubber is provided by Dunlop and they stuck lovingly to the road.

My favourite stretch of road was maximised with my new toy, all mention of actual speed is really irrelevant, but it does rev very quickly and with a bit of muscle handles like you’d expect a modern bike to, with a little more time to get aquainted further…………

Haven’t managed to check out the headlights so I will assume they are good, most modern bikes are now well equipped and perfectly adequate, the tail light is an LED unit and as such clear and bright (as well as being flush fitted to the tail section) above that other adherence to the rules of type approval or whatever, the ugly rear light unit and number plate holder. Again it doesn’t look bad, it is again a compromise between necessity, function and form, but I think I’d visit the R & G stand after I’ve perused Mr. Akrapovic’s wares.

I have increased my carbon footprint this weekend burning fuel mainly for pleasure. The tank holds 13 quid’s worth after about ten miles of the last fuel cell winking at me, returning me approx 120 miles. I’ve drained three tanks. It was a blast!

I could have ridden perhaps a little more parsimoniously and reported a better fuel consumption figure I guess but hey it wasn’t raining for a change. I thought I’d enjoy myself.

If Darth Vader ever wants to ride a motorcycle George, get him on one of these mothers they definitely have the force. The earthbound and mere mortals like you and me should chat up their friendly neighbourhood Kawasaki dealer and badger them for a test ride, I warn you though you might end up wanting one alot!

Now about that ZX-10………………

All the spec and techie stuff can be gleaned from the Kawasaki website http://www.kawassaki.co.uk/.
The very nice people who supplied the bike can be found here www.alfsmotorcycles.co.uk
Check out over 3,500 reviews here


Write your own review and claim a free T-shirt from the mother site http://www.ukbike.com/

Doby Trutcenden - sideways through time 3.9.07

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

 

web site traffic statistics
Dell Inspiron Notebook