Thursday 3 July 2008

The Latest on Motorcycle training

Just read an article by Tim Luckhurst writing for The Guardian about the chaos and rubbish implementation of a European directive for the implementation of a new Motorcycle test scenario.

I could summarise but Tim's article says it all.

There are a number of uppity comments by righteous car drivers saying, that us two wheeled 'do as you likers' are a menace, so, if you'd like to redress the balance somewhat with any cogent, logical and sensible statements, leave him a comment.
(I don't know the bloke and I've not read anything by him before, but what he points out is obvious to me and I for one don't want to see the start of a process that appears to be the beginning of an erosion of motorcycling).
I once again quote Robin Trower .. 'Where are the roads to freedom?'

Here's the comment I left for what it's worth.

Like Tim, I ride a motorcycle most days, and I have to say it is a most puissant one at that.
On an average round trip of 100 miles on my daily commute, I see the same cars with single occupants (generally) sitting in the same traffic jam, sweating and white knuckled hunched over the steering wheel.
I constantly wonder as I sail past watching them watching me why the bloody hell do they still do it.?

The only conclusion I can come to is that they are scared to leave the assumed cossetted confines of their cars, choosing to waste time and energy by remaining stationary for long periods.

On the occasional stretches of open road I then generally encounter rubbish driving, outside lane hogging and similar 4 wheeled stupidity.

The answer (in my opinion) make car tests harder, encourage more people (by offering easier and better training) onto motorcycles.

Motorcycles are quicker, more fun, generally cheaper, keep your reactions sharp and easier to park. There are several niches, you don't have to buy into sports bike hooligan scene you can buy big cc scooters, commuter machines or grand tourers.

Sure some bikers tear around like their arse is on fire, but the amount of 'Foo boys' in souped up almost certainly highly illegal crap cars adorned with all manner of stupid frippery popping exhausts and terrible pop polution is just as rife. When was the last time you saw one of these Herberts sticking to the legal speed limit?

P.s I'm a middle aged git, with a few busted bones in the past to other road users credit, a car owner and can't get enough of fast motorcycles, the more car drivers encouraged to be biker friendly the better and probably the lower the accident rate.

Tims article can be found here http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jul/02/motoring.travelandtransport?commentpage=1&commentposted=1

No comments:

 

web site traffic statistics
Dell Inspiron Notebook